Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Peacock quilt for Rhonda.

Last week my darling husband called me from work to ask if I could make a quilt for his managers, it seems that she doesn't have any heat in her office. I said I would and set out to make this quilt. I played with the layout on EQ7 until I found something I liked and then got to work, it took me just one day to put together. 
 
I had a lot of fun making the quilt, and deciding how I was going to quilt it. I needed something fast and easy, yet elegant to match the beautiful peacock on the panel. 

 So, I decided to do a simple swirl type fill with tiny peacock feathers in the black, stitched with black thread so not to detract from the print.
 Then in the pinwheel blocks I had a feather party! Each half square triangle got a peacock feather!
I needed to make this a super warm quilt (due to the lack of heat) so I opted for Minkee on the back with Warm and Natural as the batting. I love how the quilting shows on the back of the quilt.

Stuart took the quilt to work today and by all reports she loves the quilt!

Now I think I will make another one, for me! And I am going to add some hot fix crystals to mine!

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Absolutely gorgeous Ginny, and what a thoughtful thing to do. She is going to love that given how dog gone cold it is this winter for us!!

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! www.quiltworld2.blogspot.com
Yours, Ulla

natalie phillips said...

This is georgous. I have been looking for something to quilt (as a complete novice mind you) that would work for my wedding. the guests would sign squares to add to the outer edge and we could use it forever. we are having a peacock feather theme in memory of my grandparents. after seeing this i'm a little afraid mine will be horrible! i could never make such a beautiful thing as you have. Thanks for sharing!

Ginny said...

Natalie, Hopefully you will see this. If you want, I can help you with this pattern. It is my own design. I would be more than happy to give you all my cutting directions. Plus I could help with the signature blocks. Email me at Gin1906@aol.com if you are interested. I love the idea of this as a wedding quilt!

HNM said...

I have the same fabric you used for the focal. I've been thinking about a quilt for my sister who loves peacocks and this gave me a lot of inspiration.

Beautiful quilt!

HNM said...

Absolutely stunning quilt!

I have the same focal fabric which has been sitting in my stash waiting for some inspiration. This gave me the inspiration I needed to get a quilt done for my sister. Thank you!