Search This Blog

Friday, April 24, 2009

Fabric Wrap Tutorial

Good Morning,

Recently I posted on a Yahoo group on how I store and organize my fabric. Well, I have gotten a couple of emails asking for more details. That led to an offer to do a quick photo tutorial on how I wrap and mark my fabric for storage. So, here is is...

Things you will need:
Cutting mat to measure the fabric before I wrap it.

Fabric of course

A 6" acrylic ruler
(OK so mine is a 5" ruler, I use a 5" for my wraps because my shelves are exactly 12" wide and if I use a 6" I can not fit a double stack of fabric on the shelves. I suggest a 6" because that is what most people have, I have not idea where I got the 5" wide ruler, I have NEVER been able to find another!)

Pins, Pen and Paper to mark fabric size once you are all wrapped up, or you can just do like I do and count folds.


Step 1, measure length of fabric, this was 2 yards.


Step 2 take folded fabric (like it came off the bolt) and fold length wise one more time fold to selvage you should end up with a long narrow piece of fabric that measures approximately 11" x length of fabric in my case 2 yards.


It should look like this, I lay it out across the table if it is just me, if Torrie is helping she holds it taught on the other end. When working with long pieces of fabric 6 more yards, I highly recommend a second person to help it makes a huge difference on how easy the material wraps.



Now we wrap, place your ruler on the end of the fabric nice and straight.



Make your first fold over the ruler.



And wrap, wrap, wrap, I like a nice tight wrap.

This is what it should look like when you are done wrapping.


And this is what it looks like from the end. I actually don't mark the yardage I find it easier to put the wrapped fabric on the shelf with this end out, then if I need to know how much is there I just count the layers and calculate out the amount.

The ruler just slides right out!

And you have one nice and neat bundle of fabric!
Now if you want write the yardage and pin it in place.


And this is what it looks like when you are done. Each opening measures 12" x 12" I have nothing smaller than 1 yard on these shelves and in some cases as much as 15 yards of fabric, although they are at the bottom and you can not see this in this picture, they tend to take up a lot of room. You can see what I mean about double stacking the fabric. And yes this is my entire stash minus the Minkee, the flannel and my fat quarters, they are folded and stored in plastic tubs on another shelf next to this one. Well, I hope you all found this helpful. Please feel free to ask any questions.
Have a great day!
Ginny

4 comments:

Myra said...

WEll, and there you have it! Organization at it's best! Thanks! I shall have to try that when I get around to cleaning up my shelves... soon I hope! 8-)
Happy stitchings!

Millie said...

Ginny, thank you for a great tutorial. Oh and do I need some organization in my stash. I will have to go and give my fabric the "Ginny touch". Have a great weekend!

Erin Sew said...

oh thanks for a brilliant tips!
sure useful when i have a rack for my fabrics :)

~Melisa~ said...

This is jsut awsome. My mother-in-law and I were just talking about how we were going to get our material to fit. Fantastic!! Two Thumbs way way up!