Search This Blog

Monday, February 28, 2011

Kimonos and Celtic knots... oh yea!

OK so that was mean! I but I was pretty tired last night. So tired in fact that my poor family had to fend for them selves for dinner!
I am very happy with how the Kimono quilt turned out though and it was well worth the two days it took to finish it.
I originally planned on doing an Asian panto on the quilt to get it done quick and easy. Well about 3 feet into the first row of the panto I decided I hated it! So I ripped it out and went with plan B... OK so I didn't really have a plan B.. I had to make one up on the spot!

This is what I ended up with....

I started by outlining each Kimono, then did a tiny stipple in that little 1/2" space by the colar. Then I worked my way down and around the kimono to fill in all of the black with a stipple. The sashing needed something so I went with a simple ribbon.. and viola there you have it. The fun part.. I quilted the entire thing in GOLD! So sadly you can see my wobble and bobbles. But let me say, doing a ribbon on 1" sashing is kind of a pain in the BUTT!

Working on the last two rows of the quilt, each block took about 7 minutes to do... there were 56 blocks... so roughly 6 1/2 hours just for the blocks.. not to awe fully bad!

The entire quilt done! Now I just need to trim and bind it!

And one more photo, you can see how the quilting comes together. In the end I think I made the right decision. I would not have been happy with the panto. I also love that I did not put any quilting in the Kimonos... as you can see blow, it makes the back a lot of fun too!
OK, so not the best picture of the back, but you get the idea!

Sadly, now I have an entire weekends worth of chores and emails to catch up on. Plus I need to start work on Stuarts newest quilt... can you say emerald green and Celtic knots... here is a sneak peek...
Now imagine that... 4 feet across... oh yea this is going to be a fun one!

Happy quilting to all!
Ginny

4 comments:

Barb said...

This quilt is just wonderful....love all the fabrics...great way to showcase them.

Jen said...

This turned out beautiful! You were right on with the quilting, I like how you left the kimonos alone. Makes them pop out. I like the ribbon too. Fabulous finish!

Ginny said...

Thanks for the compliments! I would love to say I sweated and agonized over this quilt and it took me months to finish, but in truth... I started work on this quilt on about Feb. 17th... so about 9 days from start to finish. I do love all the different fabrics,and loved the gold quilting.
Gin

barcord said...

love your kimono quilt. The celtic knot looks like a challenge. Enjoy it.