Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pirates off the port side Captain!

Part two of my weekend.....
As promised this post is all about the rest of my weekend.

Several months ago there was a write up in our local paper about two Tall Ships coming to town, The ships were The Lady Washington (AKA the Interceptor from Pirated of the Caribbean) and her sister ship The Hawaiian Chieftain. Both ships are replicas of ocean going merchant ships built around 1790.

Well, I got tickets for Torrie and Morgen to go on a 3 hour battle sail while they were in port. I really really wanted to go also, but Stuart was being budget minded and said no.
OK, so fast forward to Sunday. We arrived at the dock and this is what greeted us. How cool is that!!!

Torrie and Morgen boarded The Lady Washington, and set sail. We stayed and watched as they left. About that time the gal that was doing the ticket check for the Hawaiian Chieftain announced that they has 6 extra tickets so if you wanted to sail but did not have a ticket please speak up. I shouted!!! Then I turned and told Stuart that we were going!!!!

So away we went! I have not had that much fun in years! The best part, Stuart and I were on one ship, and the girls were on the other, I could see them but did not have to referee any arguments, or tell Morgen to stop touching stuff for 3 HOURS!


This is the Lady Washington, she is so pretty!


Then, she fired at us!!! Well is was a battle cruise so yea I guess that was to be expected!

Then we fired back at her, she ran away! We circled each other for about an hour and a half, trading shot. When both ships ran out of shot, we pulled along side each other and serious hostilities broke out... WATER BALLOONS!!!This was at the end of the day they were putting the sails away before we headed back to dock. I am terrified of heights, no way could I do this job!


Of course they were wearing fall protection.







Stuart and I on the Hawaiian Chieftain. Look at that smile on his face. I had to drag him on the ship but once he was on he had as much if not more fun then the girls and I all together! Me! Morgen! Torrie! My ship, the Hawaiian Chieftain!Oh and by the way......

We won!

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend also.

Ginny

Oh I forgot to mention, if you are interested in learning more about these wonderful ships, or want to sail on board, check out their website at http://www.historicalseaport.org/web/index.html

These ships are used most of the year as teaching vessels for young children.

7 comments:

Ann said...

What a great adventure! And the timing on those tickets was terrific!

grendelskin said...

Wowee! What an adventure! I'm so glad you were able to go after all, it looks like you had a blast!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

outstanding fun!! I so need to check this out!

free indeed said...

Looks like alot of fun in the sun! I would have loved to go sailing!

jabeybaby said...

That looks like so much fun! Thanks for the link to their website, we are moving out towards Seattle next month and I think we would really enjoy one of these cruises.

Captain John Morrison said...

I have been Captain of both of those boats in the past, and I really get a kick out of seeing them all stubby and down-rigged. Lady Washington is missing an entire mast section (the top'gallent mast) from the top of both masts, and the Hawaiian chieftain is sailing with her topmast partially housed (lowered down so she could fit under the bridges). I am glad that you had a great time!

Myra said...

Oh yes indeed! What an adventure! Sounds like big time fun! 8-)