I Got A GO! Seems like those short words have been shouted all over blog land! Sadly I did not win my GO, nor was I given one by Accuquilt which means sadly that I will not be giving away a GO, I wish I could but alas I just don't have the hard cash to buy one and give it away. (maybe with any luck the nice people at Accuquilt will see my blog and offer one...) But in the meantime I wanted to share the very first cool project I did with my new cutter... I made BUGS!!! Lots and lots of bugs!
This is the cutter in action... I was very pleased with how easy it is to use, I ironed on heat and bond to the back of the fabrics I wanted to cut, layered them on the die put the mat on and cranked the handle, wow so easy a kindergartner could do it. Actually she did a few days later! The nice thing was how easy it was to turn the handle, some days my hands hurt so badly that even typing hurts, this did not hurt!
Look Pretty pretty dragonflies! Wait till you see what I did when I put them on their blocks... it was super cool.
And bumble bees... my favorite is Bernie the Backwards Bumble Bee. You will notice one bee is solid yellow, here is a trick, I cut the main body first (the yellow in this case) then I used scraps and I mean TINY scraps to cut the black antenna, then I used fairy frost white and cut just the wings a little nip with the scissors to give it a nice round/heart shaped bottom and viola on bee with shiny wings!
And Butterflies, you will notice that on the flies... both dragon and butter I changed the body color, there again like the bee's I used scraps left over from the main body cuts, layered them out JUST on the body segment of the dragonfly and cut contrasting bodies. I like the added visual impact.
Another look at the dragonflies using the double fabric... fairy frost for shiny wings, bright colors for the body... PRETTY!
On the blocks I decided to add a bit of punch, notice the dragonfly with black body and blue wings. He is pretty boring, now look at the other three, much much more interest and depth, (I will use the red and white as an example) I cut a red and a white dragonfly, cut the wings off the red one, ironed the red body on top of the white one, then when I put the DF on the block, I too the red wings and placed them UNDER the white offset a bit and ironed everything down at once.. I love the dragonflies the bestest!
And butterflies, some with bodies some with out so you can see the difference.
Bumble bees! Whew I am all bugged out! The Blocks are 6 1/2 inch blocks also cut on my GO!
And of course Torrie immediately claimed it as hers, although she may have to wait a while as I just got a commission for two queen size quilts, thankfully I have my GO to make the cutting go faster!
Off to sew...