Search This Blog

Thursday, November 13, 2008

A letter from Fernando.

I went to check the mail this afternoon, and found the usual mail box finds, bills, fliers and such, then at the bottom of the pile was an envelope that had a hand written address on it. With a return address that I did not know, how interesting. So I tucked the rest of the mail under my arm and opened this strange letter as I walked back to the house, as I walked I read and then tears came to my eyes, you see the letter was from a young man age 10 from San Leon Texas.

He says

Dear Ginny and Torrie,
Thank you for the quilt blanket of love. I am Fernando I am 10 years old. Our house got fluded (flooded) no one from our family have social security Fema din't help us but we're happy cause ya are praying for us.
Thanks a lot and God bless ya.
Fernando

This has to be the sweetest letter I have gotten in years, I walked back in the door, tears still in my eyes, and handed the letter to Torrie, she read it, looked at me and just smiled. All of the hours we have spent on making these blankets, this letter made every minute worth it.

I am so proud that we are making a difference, no matter how small, because as you can see, for a young man like Fernando, it really isn't a small thing at all. This is a young man that knows that people care.

God bless you and keep you Fernando, and you also my dear blog reader.
Have a wonderful evening.
Ginny

3 comments:

Karen E. Overton said...

I'm so thankful that you received a note of appreciation. Ya'never know...I do have a note on each blanket of love who made it and their address in the hopes that someone would take the time to write a thank you. Acknowledging gifts is a lost art, I know I'm bad about it. I just got three boxes from UPS today with other Quilts of Hope for Ike. Once I photo them and attach their notes they are ready for distribution. Thank you so much for your part in this recovery effort -- you and Torrie started it all ya'know! karen O in Texas www.quiltsnkaboodle.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Dear Ginny

What a lovely posts. The letter from the 10 year old boy gave me a tear in the eye. And that is why we as quilters like to make "blankets of love".

Thank you for sharing!
Millie

Karen E. Overton said...

Hey girlfriend. Check out 11.16 post on www.quiltsnkaboodle.blogspot.com to read about your nomination for the Kreativ Quilter Award!!